Hortgro Pome (SAAPPA)
Hortgro Pome, previously known as the South African Apple and Pear Producers’ Association (SAAPPA), was established in the early 1970’s to promote and protect the interests of the apple growers, and later also those of the pear growers of South Africa
THE VISION OF HORTGRO POME:
The main goal of the pome fruit industry is to supply the preferred choice products in any market. To this end, it is essential that all role players in the industry should have a mutual vision and passion to attain this.
The Association is a Section 21 (non-profit) company, which is administered by a board of directors representing the main pome fruit production regions in the SA. Hortgro Pome resorts under the structure of HORTGRO, the umbrella industry service organisation.
MAIN FUNCTIONS OF HORTGRO POME:
- To rationalise and promote the production and marketing of apples and pears, and apple and pear products.
- To encourage and pursue constructive dialogue and mutual co-operation with government and other parties in order to promote the interests of the Association and its members.
- To foster mutual trust and long-term relationships amongst role players and stakeholders.
- To establish a reciprocal information system and promote the maintenance of responsible and sustainable production and marketing practices.
- To support and assist the development of its decision making systems and structures.
The Association serves its members in many ways by providing support and stimulus to assist producers to set sustainable production and marketing goals and maximise marketing potential and income. It facilitates, amongst others, the following activities:
- Research and Development
- Communication, Liaison, and Representation
- Trade and Market Access
- Market Development
- Training & Social Responsibility
- Land Reform, Economic Development
- Plant Improvement & Certification