This year Mandela Day focused on, amongst other goals, education, and literacy. In line with this initiative, Hortgro’s Book Donation Project reached a milestone by donating 2 tons of books to schools in the Langkloof area. The book donation which is part of our Market and Trade Division received the books from UK schools earlier this year. With the help of GoGlobal and specifically two teachers, Riana Ferreira, and Stan Pienaar from Hoërskool McLachlan the books found their way to 13 schools in the Langkloof.
The book truck made its way from Cape Town harbour and reached Hoërskool McLachlan in June. From where the books were sent to the following schools:
- Joubertina Primêr (Graad R – Graad 9 )Ravinia – Joubertina)
- Hoërskool McLachlan (Graad 1 – Graad 12) – Joubertina)
- Appeltreintjie Pre-Primêre skool -Joubertina
- Farmyard Pre -Primêre skool – Joubertina
- Krakeel Primêre skool (Graad R – Graad 9 – Krakeelrivier)
- Louterwater Pre-Primêre skool (Graad R) – Louterwater
- Louterwater Primêre skool (Graad 1 – Graad 9) – Louterwater
- Jay Dee Farms – Creché – Louterwater
- Somerset Gift Primêre skool (Graad 1 – Graad 9) – Nuweplaas
- Misgund Primêre skool (Graad R – Graad 9) – Misgund
- Fairview Plase – creché – Misgund
- J Baldie en Sons creché – Misgund
- Du Toit Agri Oos-Kaap creché – Misgund
Di Pienaar form Jay Dee Farms who helped with the logistics said that each and every child in the Langkloof who received a book is filled with gratitude. According to Pienaar Ms. Ferreira took it upon herself, in her free time, to organise the mountain of books and help with the distribution. “We have enormous appreciation for this remarkable donation to the schools in the Langkloof,” Pienaar said.
Hortgro would like to thank each and every one that took part in this initiative, for their help, but a special thank you to Maersk, myHermes and Di Pienaar.
May every day be a Mandela Day!